Lawrence E. Uchill, Founder and Principal
As a real estate and capital markets lawyer with 40 years of experience, my practice focuses on real estate, alternative energy and structured finance, with particular expertise in mezzanine financing. My experience spans a broad range of commercial real estate asset classes located throughout the United States and around the world, including a wide array of projects concerning:
- complex mortgage financings
- acquisitions and dispositions
- joint venture formation and raising capital
- sale leasebacks and credit tenant lease financings
- development transactions (involving private sector and governmental parties)
- military housing
- multi-family housing
- mixed-use real estate
- REIT formation
- energy conservation
- wind turbine and other alternative energy
Over the past 40 years, I have specialized in capital market transactions, and have represented and originated loans for major investment banks, and mezzanine loan funds, as well as for major real estate companies that have secured real estate financing. In 2007, I represented a mezzanine loan fund which formed and syndicated the last CDO mezzanine fund to close in the United States, prior to the on-set of the recent great recession.
Further areas of expertise include:
- credit tenant financings
- office and retail leasing
- real estate syndications
- commercial condominiums
- title, zoning and subdivision analysis
- construction contracts
- interest rate swaps
- working with rating agencies
- project and capital financings
- mezzanine debt dispositions
- ground leases
- 1031 transactions
- asset recovery
- loan workouts
Since 1996, I have served as an adjunct law professor at Boston University, teaching a course on Securitization and Structured Finance.
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners as one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named a top real estate lawyer by The Best Lawyers in America since 1995
- Listed as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Boston Magazine
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Author, Chapter 9 – “Rating of Asset-Backed and Mortgage Backed Securities,” Securitization Asset-Backed and Mortgage-Backed Securities, Lexis Publishing.
- Co-author, “A New Year’s Resolution for US Banks: Regarding Distressed Commercial Real Estate Assets,” International Finance & Treasury (January 15, 2010).
- Author, “Mitigating Wind-Availability Risk In Wind Turbine Projects,” North America Wind Power (March 2005).
- Panelist, 2004 European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition (EWEC), London, England, where I introduced an innovative solution to address variations in energy potential derived from wind turbine projects arising due to the intermittency of annual wind forces.
- Speaker, April 8,2008 Boston Bar Association, Real Estate Finance Committee, “CMBS Market, How We Got Here, which was a discussion about the history of the CMBS market and the market’s then current state of play.
- Panelist, December 1, 2008, IMN’s Eighth Annual Borrowers’ and Investors’ Forum on Financing Your Mezzanine Position Panel, “Ways of Effectively Lowering Your Cost of Capital in Today’s Market.”
- Panelist, December 1, 2008, IMN’s Eighth Annual Borrowers’ and Investors’ Forum on Financing Your Mezzanine Position Panel, “Intercreditor Agreements & Their Recent Evolution.”
Pro Bono & Community Involvement
- Chairman of the Board, Massachusetts Future Problem Solvers
Admissions & Memberships
- Member, Massachusetts and New York Bar Associations
- J.D., Boston University School of Law 1973, magna cum laude
- B.A., Brandeis University 1969